Marietta, GA- By YOLANDA RODRIGUEZ, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Nearly three dozen people were treated at area hospitals Wednesday after they were exposed to carbon monoxide at a Cobb County sandwich company.

Workers at the Georgia Sandwich Co. were cutting concrete with a gas-powered saw about 11 a.m. An hour later people in the building, at 115 Davis Circle in Marietta, started feeling sick and called 911, said Cobb County firefighter Denell Boyd.

In all, 31 people were taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital in Marietta, WellStar Cobb Hospital in Austell and Emory-Adventist Hospital in Smyrna. Two of the people later were sent to another hospital for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, Boyd said.

“They were in a confined space,” Boyd said.

“It did have a high level of carbon monoxide. … They were all conscious when they were transported and that’s a good thing.”

The entire building was evacuated and fans were brought in to clear the building, Boyd said.

Cobb and Marietta firefighters handled the call.

Marietta fire Chief Jackie Gibbs said the workers were treated for various levels of exposure to carbon monoxide.

“Anytime you have carbon monoxide, it displaces the oxygen,” Gibbs said. “And that is very dangerous.”