Sedalia, MO- By Sarah Daniel, The Sedalia Democrat

Seven people living in a home without electricity were hospitalized Tuesday with carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas-powered generator.

Two women and five children who live at 648 E. 12th St. were taken to Bothwell Regional Health Center after a gas-powered generator in the basement released carbon monoxide into the home.

Authorities did not identify the victims, and no one answered the door at the two-story wood-frame home Wednesday.

An American Paramedical Services Inc. ambulance took a young woman living at the home to Bothwell after she started having seizures Tuesday afternoon. She was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Sedalia Police Department reports.

Hospital employees notified police and paramedics of the diagnosis at 11:20 p.m., so others at the home could be examined and evacuated. Paramedics had trouble waking the people in the house, and some of the children had to be carried outside, reports stated.

Doug Briscoe, director of operations for APSI, said a 45-year-old woman and children ages 13, 9, 7, 4 and 2 were taken to Bothwell and later to University Medical Center in Columbia. The condition of the victims was not released.

A 24-year-old man refused treatment at the home, he said.

According to Fire Department reports, “a gas-powered generator that had electrical cords running to a sump pump, a furnace and two extension cords,” was found in the basement.