Madison, WI – It’s often called the “silent killer” because it’s colorless, odorless, and tasteless, but carbon monoxide is just the thing that almost cost the Balsavich family their lives.

“[The fire department] was getting a three thousand parts per million reading in my basement,” Luke Balsavich said.

“[That] is roughly 30 times higher than what would cause a lethal dose in a humans,” he continued.

Just over a week ago Balsavich called the Madison Fire Department when he heard the sound of multiple carbon monoxide (CO) detectors beeping in his home.

“I just happened to have thought carbon monoxide and bought the detectors and they tripped,” he said.

“It kind of makes you wonder how often people go exposed to lower levels of it.”

Experts urge everyone to place carbon monoxide detectors throughout their home, they say it’s pretty small price to pay and one that could potentially save a life.