IL- A hot water heater leaking carbon monoxide sent eight people to the hospital in Downers Grove Sunday morning.

The Downers Grove Fire Department responded to an apartment unit on the 2100 block of Warren Avenue about 8 a.m. Sunday and found eight people ill due to a carbon monoxide leak, according to Downers Grove fire spokeswoman Marcia Giesler.

The eight people were taken in “stable” condition to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, Giesler said.

“Seven young girls were apparently having a sleep over and they were all feeling pretty sick and woozy,” Giesler said. “By the time they were transported they were all up and walking.”

Firefighters determined the leak came from a hot water heater inside the apartment near where the girls were sleeping, Giesler said.

The leak was not secured as of 11 a.m., but firefighters had reduced the levels of carbon monoxide in the apartment unit. The leak did not spread to other units, Giesler said.