Walworth, NY- WROC-TV – An important reminder from firefighters after several seniors in Wayne County were poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Three people inside this home on Walworth Road in Walworth were taken to Rochester General Hospital Sunday. Firefighters found a broken water heater vent pipe in the basement. That was the cause of the CO poisoning. They say it’s important to not only have a CO detector, but also test it often.

“I think that most people don’t anticipate it happening, their home is fine, but sometimes when you make changes or you go ahead and start up the wood stove the first time, you don’t know if the bird’s nest has built something in the wood stove or any other items that have occurred,” says Walworth Deputy Fire Chief John O’Toole.

The three who fell ill spent the night at the hospital, but are expected to be okay.