Albany, NY – Capital News 9 – A family is breathing easier now that a carbon monoxide scare is behind them.

A family of three started feeling sick inside their University Street home in Selkirk on Wednesday night. They found out later that there were elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

A husband, wife, their daughter and three kittens were treated at the scene — all are okay.

Fire officials said the cause was a faulty furnace and a poorly-ventilated wood-burning stove.

Delmar Fire Chief James Kerr said, “If you have a furnace that’s not working properly or a wood stove that’s not functioning properly, a clogged chimney, something of that nature. The carbon monoxide can build up in the structure and if affects you with flu-like symptoms as it builds in your body.”

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and can give you a headache, nausea, dizziness and fatigue.