Lubbock, TX – One man died and a woman was hospitalized in what investigators suspect is a case of carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday, Jan. 16, in a Lubbock motel room.
Lubbock police officers and Fire Rescue crews responded about 11:45 a.m. to a call to check on the pair in room 30 at the Budget Motel at 805 34th St.
First responders found a 59-year-old man dead and an adult woman suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Lubbock Fire Rescue battalion chief Rob Keinast. The woman was taken by ambulance to University Medical Center.
Investigators blamed a faulty heater in the room for the carbon monoxide buildup, Keinast said.
In this room we did have extremely high levels (of carbon monoxide), he said.
The room did not have a carbon monoxide detector, but such a device is not required in motels per city code, according to Keinast.
The odorless, tasteless and colorless gas can be deadly very quickly at high levels. He recommended residents to have licensed technicians inspect gas-operated appliances and install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.
Carbon monoxide detectors will be your first line of defense, he said.
Fire officials and city building inspectors were inspecting the motel for carbon monoxide.
The man and woman checked into the motel about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday. Motel staff called police to check on the pair when they did not leave at checkout time and did not respond to telephone calls and knocks at the door.