Des Moines, IA – Des Moines fire rescue workers were helping six people apparently overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning on the city’s east side early this morning.

Officials said the six adult residents of a house at 2952 E. Grand Ave. called for help shortly after 6 a.m. They complained of headaches and dizziness.

The fire department sent three ambulances to the residence. Most of the victims were standing in the front yard talking to medics. Officials said most of the victims would be taken to local hospitals to be checked out.

One of the victims had to be carried from the residence to a rescue squad, but he appeared to be alert and was talking to fire medics.

Authorities said a generator had been left running in the house and likely was the cause of the carbon monoxide buildup.