Lynnwood, WA- A Lynnwood, Wash., fire official says 14 people in all were taken to area hospitals after fire crews responded to a carbon monoxide poisoning call at an apartment complex. Fire Marshal Leroy McNulty says a family had been using charcoal briquets in a fireplace without opening the damper.

McNulty says the family realized there was something wrong Thursday night when a 3-year-old boy passed out.

The boy was given oxygen therapy at Swedish Medical Center in Edmonds while three adults were sent there for observation.

Another 10 people were taken to an Everett hospital for observation.

McNulty says it appears the charcoal fire was to be used for cooking. He says the apartment had functioning electric heat and was warm when he arrived.

All units of the apartment building were briefly evacuated while firefighters ventilated the building.