Springfield, NE – Carbon monoxide filled a house while an elderly couple slept, and after an alarm went off, the decision to find the source nearly killed them.

Their Springfield home filled with carbon monoxide for about five hours and knocked them unconscious.

Sharon Harris made a desperate 911 phone call she said she doesn’t remember making.

“The car was running from 6:30 to 11 o’clock that evening,” she said.

She said she drove to buy dinner and when she returned, she thought she turned the car off, until 11 p.m. when the carbon monoxide monitor went off.

Sharon Harris found the source.

“It looked like the car was sitting in a fog,” she said.

The next thing she remembers is waking up on the stairs and finding her husband unresponsive.

The car runs so quiet, the Harrises said they’re lucky to be alive.

“You don’t hear it at all,” Sharon Harris said.

Now they want others to hear their warning.

“My mission is to get these cars recalled,” Charlie Harris said. “If the alarm goes off, pay attention to it. Don’t think it’s a false alarm.”

A lawsuit filed in 2015 in Los Angeles Federal Court on behalf of keyless car drivers says there have been at least 13 deaths — and a number of close calls — from carbon monoxide poisoning after consumers failed to manually shut off their engines, ABC news reported.

The Harrises had to go through three rounds in a hyperbaric chamber and said it cost Sharon hearing in her right ear. They said they’re joining a class-action lawsuit.