Albemarle County, VA – WCAV – An Albemarle County man is thankful for his working carbon monoxide detector.

Firefighters were called to his apartment in the Old Salem Complex off of Barracks Road for a report of a carbon monoxide leak.

Officials say the man walked into his apartment after work Tuesday morning when he heard his alarm sounding. He thought quickly on his feet by alerting his neighbors who called 911.

“I got everybody else that was home out. I tried to get the dogs out of the apartment above us, but was unsuccessful, and that was it,” said Bryan Malstrom.

Firefighters say the leak started in another apartment, but spread to a couple others.

Six people were evacuated, but were let back into their apartments about an hour later.