Knoxville, TN- Eight people were taken to area hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak on a houseboat off Volunteer Landing.

Fire officials believe the patients were treated and released.

Just after 6 am Sunday, an 8 year old child woke up from a nightmare then complained of sickness.

His mother then started feeling sick and people on two boats on either side woke up with similar symptoms.

They were all evacuated.

The Knoxville Fire Department said meter readings found carbon monoxide levels at 20 parts per million. A reading of four per million in a house is enough to be treated at a hospital.

Four people were taken to UT Medical Center and four to Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center. All were from the same boat.

Investigators said the generator may have been to blame.