Woodlawn, MD – The Baltimore Digest – Eight Woodlawn residents, including three children, were taken to area hospitals yesterday because of exposure to carbon monoxide gas, Baltimore County fire officials said.

About 10:30 a.m., the county Fire Department responded to the Chadwick Manor Townhomes in the first block of Chadnor Court, where residents complained of flu-like symptoms that stemmed from breathing the colorless, odorless, toxic gas, fire officials said.

A malfunctioning furnace in one apartment unit was found to be the source of the toxic gas, fire officials said.

Carbon monoxide detectors and at least two replacement furnaces are scheduled to be installed at the complex today, management officials said.