Raleigh, NC – Four teachers and one student were hospitalized for nausea after carbon monoxide was discovered in the kitchen of an elementary school cafeteria, a Wake County Schools spokesperson said late this morning.

The gas was reported about 8:50 a.m. at Brentwood Elementary School at 3426 Ingram Drive after workers noticed a strange odor near the cafeteria kitchen.

A Wake schools maintenance crew and the Raleigh Fire Department moved children to the gymnasium in a separate building.

Investigators with the Raleigh Fire Department and PSNC Energy determined that the school was safe, schools spokesperson Kristin Flenniken said just before noon, and the school will open for the remainder of the day.

Maintenance workers are monitoring a boiler in the cafeteria that is believed to be the cause of the gas leak, Flenniken said.

Some parents picked their children up after they were notified of the leak. The remaining students will be served bag lunches while fire officials continue testing, Flenniken said.