Jersey City, NJ – A pregnant woman and three teenagers were among six people who were in critical condition yesterday after being exposed to carbon monoxide inside an apartment building on Jersey City’s West Side, authorities said.

At least two apartments inside the 16-unit complex at 168 Harrison Ave. did not have working carbon monoxide detectors, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

The incident unfolded at approximately 11:30 a.m. Eleven patients were brought to Jersey City Medical Center for treatment after the city’s fire department and Office of Emergency Management arrived at the scene.

As of late yesterday, the six people in critical condition have been transferred to other hospitals. Those residents have been identified as a 40-year-old woman, a 44-year-old man, a 13-year-old boy, two teenage girls, and a pregnant woman whose age was not immediately available. All of those patients were being treated yesterday at Jacobi Medical Center in New York City with the exception of the 40-year-old woman, who was brought to Englewood Hospital.

Officials say a boiler malfunctioned in the basement of the building and caused the carbon monoxide leak. Clifton-based Trendy Management, which owns the building, is expected to be issued violations for the faulty carbon monoxide detectors, Morrill said. The boiler has been “red tagged” and cannot be used until it is repaired by a plumber, the city spokeswoman added.