Chicopee, MA – A small carbon monoxide leak reportedly prompted the temporary evacuation of the Big Y World Class Market on Memorial Drive Wednesday morning.

Michael Wilk, public information officer for the Police Department, said the leak, initially thought to be a natural gas leak, was reported shortly after 8 a.m.

“Employees detected something wrong,” Wilk said. “They evacuated just to be safe.”

Firefighters and Columbia Gas personnel responded to the scene. “There was no gas leak,” Wilk said.

Chicopee Deputy Fire Chief Wayne LeMay told WWLP that the problem turned out to be a minor carbon monoxide leak in a storage area.

Wilk said the scene has since been cleared and employees and shoppers have since been allowed back inside the store.