Click on Detroit – A carbon monoxide leak at a West Bloomfield bank made some employees sick and forced managers to evacuate the building, according to Local 4 reports.

A manager at the Comerica Bank on Orchard Lake Road near Middlebelt called 911 around 10 a.m. Monday after six employees complained of symptoms of lightheadedness and nausea.

Authorities advised the bank be evacuated and firefighters responded to the scene.

Using gas-monitoring equipment, West Bloomfield fire crews found the bank had a defective furnace on the roof. Firefighters shut off the heating system and natural gas supply.

The Occupational Health and Safety Administration has established a maximum carbon monoxide limit value of 35 parts per million for 6 to 8 hours, but the readings obtained by firefighters Monday found the bank exceeded 140 parts per million.

Paramedics transported the victims to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Pontiac where they were reported in good condition.

The bank remained closed for repairs. No injuries to customers occurred.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels. Appliances fueled with natural gas, liquefied petroleum, oil, kerosene, coal or wood may produce carbon monoxide. Burning charcoal and running cars also produce carbon monoxide.