Beaumont, TX – Authorities say more than 60 students and staff at a Southeast Texas school have gotten sick after an apparent carbon monoxide leak.
Emergency personnel in Beaumont say the children and adults from Marshall Middle School were treated Thursday for injuries not believed to be life-threatening.
Officials with the Beaumont Independent School District say the leak apparently was linked to a boiler.
Spokeswoman Mary Poole with Baptist Beaumont Hospital says 50 students and two adults were being treated for exposure. CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth hospital, in a statement, said 14 patients were in stable condition.
Marshall Middle School was evacuated around midmorning Thursday when some children and people began feeling ill or had trouble breathing. Victims were being examined at the scene before being transported to hospitals, including by bus.