Franklin Township, NJ – The Philadelphia Inquirer – A supermarket in this Sussex County community was evacuated after about 20 people became ill from a carbon monoxide leak, apparently caused by a malfunctioning generator.

Emergency personnel responded to the ShopRite store at about 4 p.m. Friday after employees complained of flu-like symptoms, officials said. The store was shut down for nearly three hours as firefighters used fans to clear the air.

At least 15 people were treated at two area hospitals, while five others refused medical treatment, Franklin Township Police Chief Joe Kistle said.

Store officials would not comment on the incident, but an employee said emergency generators came on after the store lost power early Friday morning.