Mishawaka, IN – A hotel shut down Saturday after a carbon monoxide leak sent 22 people to area hospitals. Investigators were trying to find the source of the leak at the 25-room Country Inn & Suites in Mishawaka, about five miles east of South Bend.

Hotel manager Julia Dare called 911 about 10:30 a.m. after she noticed children becoming ill and collapsing in the dining area.

“One of the little girls was on the floor; then another one was on the floor,” she said.

Carbon monoxide levels in the pool area, adjacent to the dining area, were 450 parts per million, or several times the safe limit, said Mishawaka Fire Department Capt. Joe Calderone.

Ten people were taken to Memorial Hospital and 12 were taken to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center. All were treated and released, officials at the hospitals said.

Most of those treated at St. Joseph were children from 4 to 14 years old, said hospital administrator Kevin Sherbun.

The Country Inn was making alternate lodging arrangements for guests.