Marion, IN – A 9-year-old boy was killed, and his 7-year-old sister and father were hospitalized because of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Marion mobile home on Saturday.

When the children’s mother did not hear from the family, she went to the home to check on them, finding the children unconscious. The Grant County Sheriff’s Department said it had received a report of a sick child at the home and sent an ambulance to the residence in the 1200 block of Hendricks Street.

First responders called for a hazardous materials crew under suspicions that a methamphetamine lab may have been involved, but they later determined it was in fact carbon monoxide, likely from a generator in the trailer that may have been leaking.

Police said the father had been renovating the mobile home in order for the family to move in. The father’s children were with him at times while he made repairs to the home.

After paramedics were unsuccessful performing CPR on the boy, he was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. The boy’s father and his sister were taken to Marion General Hospital, where they were listed in stable condition.

An autopsy will be conducted on the boy to determine the cause of death. The names of the victims were not released.