Essex, Md. – A weekend of celebration ended tragically for three people

in Baltimore County. They were found dead on a boat Monday afternoon.

That boat was docked at the Parkside Marina in Bowleys Quarters in Eastern

Baltimore County.

Mary Bubala reports while police are ruling out foul play, the medical

examiner’s office is working to confirm the three friends lost their lives

from a deadly level of carbon monoxide.

One by one, the bodies of three people were rolled off the docks of Parkside

Marina on stretchers, a tragic end to a weekend celebration. Laura Jean

Gladden and Patty Mae Vento, both mothers to young children, and a man, John

Marsh, who celebrated Father’s Day with his young son, were all victims of

apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Marsh would have turned 40 on Monday.

“Every couple years, his birthday’s on Father’s Day and…no more,” said

Barbara Marsh, John’s mother.

Marsh’s mother is overcome by grief, as are other family members who

gathered at the marina, steps away from where their loved ones lost their

lives.

“I’ve lost two of my best friends and I can’t talk about it anymore,” said

Judy Treadway.

Fire officials believe the three friends spent Sunday night on the brand new

30-foot cabin cruiser and are looking into whether the generator caused the

carbon monoxide leak.

“The hatches were closed, the cabin was pretty well sealed up. That’s always

a problem if you have a leak because it means there’s no fresh air that can

get in to ventilate,” said Elise Armacost, Baltimore County Fire Department

spokeswoman.

By the time fire officials arrived on the scene, carbon monoxide levels were

still more than 30 parts per million, a deadly level.

“The level could conceivably have been higher than that,” Armacost said.

The victims leave behind a total of nine children, along with countless

family and friends, shattered by their senseless deaths and now filled with

unanswered questions.

“We don’t know why they came on the boat. We don’t have an answer to that,

for whatever reason they stopped in here ’cause they were going home. I

don’t know. We just don’t have an answer to that,” Treadway said.

The boat did not have a carbon monoxide detector onboard.