Aberdeen, MD – Five people were hospitalized with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday in Aberdeen, Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association spokesman Rich Gardiner said.

Emergency personnel reportedly responded to a call for a sick person on Baltimore Street Thursday night.

Noticing the level of exhaust in the residence, medics quickly connected the individual’s symptoms with carbon monoxide poisoning, Gardiner said.

There was a gas-powered generator in the basement that first responders determined had readings more than 10 times the acceptable limit of carbon monoxide emissions, according to Gardiner.

Upon investigation, medical personnel found other people in the home were also experiencing varying degrees of illness from exposure to carbon monoxide, Gardiner said.

Three people were taken to a specialized facility at a regional hospital, and two were taken to local hospitals for symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning, Gardiner said.

Headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion, blurred vision, weakness, shortness of breath and loss of consciousness are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can prove fatal when found in high concentrations. Here are some safety tips to avoid exposure:

Do not use gas appliances for heating a home.

Have heating systems, including chimneys and vents, inspected and serviced annually.

Install a CO detector/alarm.

Do not burn charcoal or fuel-burning cooking equipment inside a home, vehicle, tent or garage.

Ensure fuel-burning appliances are properly installed and working according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Do not leave vehicles running inside an attached garage, even with the door open.

Do not use gas-powered tools or engines indoors.