Hazelton, PA – Three adults and two infants went to a hospital after firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide in a double home in Hazleton on Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were summoned to 770-772 Seybert St. at 11:18 a.m. after a resident at 770 Seybert St. called about her carbon monoxide alarm going off, Deputy Fire Chief Shawn Jones said.

They found carbon monoxide levels at 140 parts per million on the first floor of 772 side of the home, he said. The level in the sleeping area was 106 ppm, Jones said. Levels in the 770 side, where the alarm was located, were at 40 ppm, he said. Alarms go off at 35 ppm, Jones said.

“We don’t know how long it was like this,” he said, as the residents didn’t speak English.

One woman complained of a headache and other residents didn’t feel so well, Jones said. As a precaution, emergency personnel took them to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Hazleton to be evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning, he said.

Both sides of the home had coal heat and firefighters shut down the units and ventilated the homes, Jones said. Both furnaces had a lot of soot, he said.