Binghamton, NY- WSTM-TV – Two Binghamton-area residents were rushed to a hospital today after they were sickened by carbon monoxide from pumps they were using to remove water from a flooded house.

Authorities say an ambulance was called a few minutes past noon when the men started feeling ill as they worked to clean up the two-family house damaged when the Susquehanna River spilled over its banks.

A medic began to experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning shortly after entering the house.

The two residents were taken to a hospital for treatment.

A fire department chief told Binghamton radio station W-N-B-F the carbon monoxide came from two gasoline-powered pumps. Exhaust from the pumps was blown back into the house by the wind.