Yankton, SD- Rapid City Journal – Four people staying at a Yankton motel were taken to the hospital early Thursday to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities said a man, woman and 5-year-old child from Sioux Falls reported suffering headaches and nausea at Star Brite Motel at about 3 a.m.

Interim Fire Chief Larry Nickels said that the exposure was caused by a furnace drawing exhaust fumes back into the building. Carbon monoxide levels in parts of the motel were eight times the acceptable level, he said.