Chevy Chase, MD- WTOP – Eight people were sickened Tuesday after construction workers accidentally released carbon monoxide in their building.

Montgomery County Fire spokesman Pete Piringer tells WTOP Radio the fumes built up as the workers were using gasoline powered tools at an apartment complex in the 5400 block of Wisconsin Avenue.

Piringer says the people realized they were feeling sick after a carbon monoxide alarm went off. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are often mistaken for the flu.

The building was partially evacuated, but residents were allowed back in after the building was ventilated.

One woman was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but Piringer says others were feeling better after getting some fresh air.