Shreveport, LA – A southwest Shreveport family has been rushed to the hospital, sickened by what fire officials believe was exposure to carbon monoxide.

Firefighters and EMS were called to a home in the 9400 block of E. Montego Ln. just after 10:30 a.m. for a family complaining of shortness of breath, nausea, and vomiting.

When fire crews arrived, they entered the home with a carbon monoxide meter and measured 124 parts per million of carbon monoxide. The acceptable OSHA 8-hour exposure to CO is 35 parts per million.

According to a statement released by SFD, 7 people were immediately removed from the hazardous atmosphere of the home and treated. 6 taken to area hospitals, including 3 children.

SFD wants to remind all citizens to install a carbon monoxide detector in their home if they have natural gas appliances, and to make sure they are serviced properly by a licensed technician.