Union, NJ – Five residents from a Julian Terrace home were transported to Newark Beth Israel Hospital Sunday night due to carbon monoxide exposure.The identity of the residents is not available.

According to Union fire officials, initial reports indicated that a female was unconscious in the home.Upon arrival, firefighters found an additional person with undisclosed medical issues.In total, five residents were sent to the hospital.

The fire official also reported the family dog died, likely as a result of the carbon monoxide exposure.

Firefighters found carbon monoxide levels of 100 ppm at the front door and 900 ppm on the second floor.Carbon monoxide levels of greater than 35 ppm will set off a CO meter.According to fire officials, a faulty furnace appears to be the source of the carbon monoxide.

In response to this incident, Union FMBA Local 46 posted a social media reminder to residents to check the batteries in both carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.“If you don’t have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, please go to the store and purchase them. They might just save your life or the lives of your family,” concluded the post.