Yakima, WA – Several adults and children were being checked at a local hospital Tuesday evening after exposure to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide at a home in the 600 block of South 10th Avenue, Yakima firefighters said.

Fire crews were called to the scene about 7 p.m. after a man working in the basement passed out and had to be brought outside by other men who were working with him, said Shift Commander Tom Schneider of the Yakima Fire Department. The man was conscious when he was taken from the scene.

The men were using a gas-powered saw to cut concrete, and the area was not properly ventilated, Schneider said.

The carbon monoxide levels reached what Schneider described as “very high toxic levels.”