NY – WHEC – Two carbon monoxide poisoning incidents in Rochester and Medina, Orleans County have sent 18 people to the hospital.

In the city of Rochester Friday morning 11 people were hospitalized for exposure to carbon monoxide at a home on Lime Street. The call came in around 6:45 a.m. for a woman reported unconscious.Rochester fire officials say six children and five adults were in the house. All of them were taken to Strong Memorial Hospital, two of by advanced life support.

Rochester Fire Chief Floyd Madison says all of them had serious exposure to carbon monoxide and the house did not have a carbon monoxide detector. “If you have not had your heating appliances checked furnaces and so forth, please do so.However having a carbon monoxide detector is another preventative tool that you could use to protect your families.”

In Medina, Orleans County seven people including two young children are also in the hospital recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning. We’re told a generator running in the basement caused the leak. The conditions of the seven people are not known.

Carbon monoxide at high levels can kill a person in minutes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends that anyone who thinks they could be suffering carbon monoxide poisoning get fresh air and see a doctor immediately