Fayetteville, NC – It’s called a silent killer and a Fayetteville family learned the hard way exactly how dangerous carbon monoxide can be.

The Shipes family of Fayetteville thought they had the flu, but on Saturday a friend found six family members in a stupor and suspected something else was wrong. Later, safety inspectors confirmed carbon monoxide was leaking from their furnace into their home.

Eugenia Shipes explains how she felt. “I passed out then I passed out again, and my daughter started passing out and her friends said we don’t feel good either.”

Firefighters turned off the gas to the home. Now the Shipes family is getting the leak in their furnace fixed.

They also plan to install two carbon monoxide detectors in their home which is something that can save your life.