White House, TN- As temperatures drop, folks turn up the heat inside.But for one mid-state family, firefighters said dialing up the gas nearly killed them.

“When they show up and say you wouldn’t have woken up the next morning, it hits close to home,” Andrea Baker said.

On Monday night, carbon monoxide alarms kept going off inside the Baker home in White House.

The family thought dying batteries were the cause, but the alarms kept sounding even with fresh juice.

Firefighters arrived and found carbon monoxide levels inside the house to be off the charts.

The Bakers said those carbon monoxide detectors are what saved their lives.

“It can save your family, it’s a cheap inexpensive life saving thing,” Baker added

The detectors cost about $10 and can be found at stores like Walmart and Target.