FAIRFIELD – Two women are crediting a carbon monoxide detector with saving their lives. Deborah Lipschitz and Donna Karnal moved into a home in Fairfield on Thursday and began to feel ill. The two women say their condition worsened on Friday and Saturday.

At first they thought the illness was connected to the stress of moving, but then the women began to hear their carbon monoxide detector going off. According to Lipschitz and Karnal, there was a carbon monoxide leak in the home and the detector saved them from being overcome by the fumes.

Authorities warn that carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. Officials say carbon monoxide victims can suffocate in their sleep, and the only way to know the gas is in the air is through a detector. Fairfield’s fire lieutenant says any appliance that burns fuel can create carbon monoxide