Scranton, PA – A city family’s carbon monoxide detector saved lives on Sunday morning, Fire Department Lt. Jim Walsh said.

Lt. Walsh said Luz and Felix Murrero had just fired up their furnace for the year when a chimney blockage likely trapped carbon monoxide inside, setting off the alarm at 11:39 a.m.

“As soon we walked in, the meter jumped off the charts,” Lt. Walsh said of firefighters entering the 316 16th Ave. home.

The couple’s children – ages 19, 11 and 3 – were treated for “flu-like symptoms” after the exposure but were fine, Lt. Walsh said Sunday.