Ralston, NE – Five lives were recently saved because of a lone carbon monoxide detector in a Ralston home. According to Fire Chief Kyle Ienn, shortly after 10:20 p.m., the Ralston Fire Department received a call concerning a possible natural gas leak in a home on State Street. What firefighters found, however, were high levels of carbon monoxide. They immediately evacuated the home of five.

According to the World-Herald newspaper, the carbon monoxide detector in this home was previously installed through a free carbon monoxide (CO) detector program put on by the city of Ralston.

”That call more than likely saved his life,” says Chief Ienn, whose fire department installs CO detectors free of charge for Ralston residents.