Christiana, WI – A carbon monoxide detector saves five lives in a Dane County duplex.

Officials were called to 537 State Farm Road in the town of Christiana just after 11:00 Wednesday night for a report of unsafe carbon monoxide levels.

It turns out one unit of the house was having trouble with its furnace, but that unit did not have a carbon monoxide detector. The detector in the neighboring unit went off and alerted residents.

Five people, including a baby, were taken to a hospital for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. They were treated and released.