Cornelius, NC – An elementary school in Cornelius was evacuated Monday morning after carbon monoxide was detected in the building.

Fire crews went to J.V. Washam Elementary School after a carbon monoxide alarm went off, officials say.

All students and staff were evacuated safely. Paula Rao, principal at the elementary school, says the cafeteria manager alerted officials after the alarm went off.

“We’re waiting to monitor the conditions and make sure that children can get back into the building soon,” Rao says.

Rao says they’re in touch with CMS and are taking necessary precautions. The elementary school is located on Westmoreland Road.