Johnstown, PA- Pittsburgh Post-GazetteTwo people found dead in a suburban Johnstown home were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty furnace, authorities said.

Richard Thompson, 63, of Stonycreek Township, and Karla Wike, 44, of Travelers Rest, S.C., who was visiting Mr. Thompson, were found dead in his home Thursday night, along with a dead dog.

Neighbors called police when they noticed mail piling up at the home. Authorities believe the two had been dead for about four days.

Blood tests performed at Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown confirmed the cause of death, and an inspection of the home Friday pinpointed the furnace as the source of the deadly gas, township police Chief Dave Dunkleberger said.