Hallam, NE – One killed, one critically ill

Authorities in Lancaster County say a carpet-layer working in a house being built in tornado-ravaged Hallam died Thursday night from what appears to have been carbon monoxide poisoning.

The name of the 25-year-old victim was not immediately released.

Lancaster County Sheriff’s Sergeant Mike Novacek says a man working with the victim, Renaldo Alvarez, was found unresponsive in the home and is in critical condition. Alvarez was treated at a Lincoln hospital for carbon monoxide exposure and later was flown to the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

Novacek says the men were using a gas-powered generator and had the windows closed in the house. A neighbor noticed a vehicle parked late Thursday night in front of the house and found the two men.

Novacek says the men were working for a Lincoln company.