Newburgh, NY- A Newburgh family was exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide when the management company for their building tried to use a propane heater to thaw pipes in an unvented apartment.

Newburgh city firefighters were called to the three-family home at 103 Carson Ave. just after 8:15 p.m. Monday after residents on the third floor smelled propane. Workers on the second floor had run the propane heater for about two and a half hours.

Assistant Chief Steve Giacco said the fire department’s carbon monoxide detectors measured the carbon monoxide in the apartment at 1,000 parts per million. Symptoms such as headaches, dizziness and nausea start at 70 parts per million, and long-term exposure to levels above 150 to 200 ppm can cause disorientation, unconsciousness, and death.

Giacco said the four people on the third floor reported headaches and feeling unwell, but they refused medical attention. The house’s first and second floors were vacant.

Firefighters aired out the building and told the management company that they need carbon monoxide detectors in the building, and that propane tanks should not be used indoors.