Shelby Township, MI – Click On Detroit – Investigators say a carbon monoxide detector could have saved the life of a 54-year-old who died Sunday after allegedly being exposed to the gas in his Shelby Township home.

Another 54-year-old man, a 54-year-old woman and a 74-year-old woman were taken to a local hospital after being overcome by fumes in the home. They remain hospitalized.

Police were told by one of the victims that he had been on the floor for about four hours. A relative who stopped by the home to visit made the discovery and then called 911.

Investigators said the carbon monoxide could have come from a hot water heater, furnace or vehicle.

A Jeep Liberty truck was taken away from the home for further investigation. Local 4 reported the car may have been left with its engine running in the garage overnight. The vehicle was taken away for further testing.