Royal Oak, MI- The Farmington Public Safety Department attributes a carbon monoxide detector to saving the life of a Farmington family.

About 4:30 a.m. April 4, officers from the Farmington Public Safety Department responded to Lilac Street when a carbon monoxide detector alarm

went off, and displayed a reading of 44 parts per million (ppm).

The homeowner was asleep when the alarm sounded, but was reluctant to call, believing that it was probably malfunctioning, said Farmington Public Safety Director Bob Schulz.

Upon arrival, an officer went through the residence with a department air monitoring instrument.

The officer received readings from 16 ppm to as high as 58 ppm. The Environmental Protection Agency has established that residential levels are

not to exceed 9 ppm over an eight hour average, Schulz said.

The officer was able to trace the source of the carbon monoxide back to the boiler on the first floor.

The boiler was turned off and several windows in the residence were opened to help remove the carbon monoxide from the residence.

Consumer’s Energy arrived and the gas was shut off to the boiler.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is emitted when there is incomplete combustion. Gas appliances such as boilers, furnaces and hot

water heaters are sources of carbon monoxide when there is incomplete combustion.

It is strongly recommended to have your natural gas appliances inspected each year to ensure that they are in proper working order.

“This is a fine example of how homeowners can protect themselves and their families by purchasing a carbon monoxide detector,” said Commander Ted Warthman. “Carbon monoxide is not easily detectable like other gases, so the

need for a detector is crucial.”

The homeowners in this incident were fortunate because they had been given the carbon monoxide detector in January by a friend. The homeowners were very grateful for the gift.