Randolph Hills, MD – Montgomery County fire and rescue crews evacuated a home in Randolph Hills on Saturday afternoon after discovering high concentrations of carbon monoxide at the residence at 4803 Topping Road.

Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer said three people were transported to the hospital, two children aged 6 and 12, and a 34-year-old man. Piringer said the residents were displaying symptoms of carbon monoxide. Their injuries are not life-threatening, according to Piringer, who noted that several other people in the home were evaluated on scene as well.

Piringer said paramedics were initially called to the home for the report of an unconscious child. He said when paramedics entered the home their carbon monoxide detector went off.The detector is affixed to the paramedicsÂ’ first-aid kit. Piringer credited the detector with saving lives.

According to Piringer, the gas company was called and the home was evacuated and ventilated. He said the gas company detected a small gas leak associated with the dryer but the investigation continues.