Fort Myers, FL – Two elderly Cape Coral residents were

apparently killed by carbon monoxide poisoning

after they inadvertently left a van running in the garage Wednesday night, according to Cape Police spokeswoman Connie Barron.

Rogelio Gonzalez, 80, and Shannon Lynnette

Johnson, 75, were found in their home by a relative who had stopped by to check on them. The final cause of death is pending toxicology results, Barron said.

Cape police and fire units responded to a 911 call about 7:26 p.m., reporting the discovery of the two bodies in the home at 228 SE 30th Street. A relative of Gonzalez said he arrived at the home and found the garage door open. The relative found Gonzalez’ body in the bathroom and then found Johnson’s body in the bedroom, Barron said.

Lee County EMS medics arrived on scene and

pronounced both victims dead at 7:39 p.m.

While it appears one of the victims may have shut off the vehicle and opened the garage door to ventilate the area, the Cape Coral Fire Department’s Hazmat Unit found an elevated level of carbon monoxide in the home.

Emergency responders were checked at the scene by medics for carbon monoxide exposure, and one

detective was transported to the hospital as a

precaution.