Dayton, KY – Lexington Herald – The Campbell County community of Dayton is mourning John Boles, 16, who died in a camping accident last weekend.

Boles died after he and a friend took a charcoal grill into their tent Friday night, apparently for warmth, Dayton Police Chief Mark Brown said.

Boles’ friend was not seriously injured. Officials did not release his name.

“One of them woke up in the morning, and one of them didn’t,” Brown said, describing it as “a freak and stupid accident, and the price he had to pay for it was unbelievable.”

Burning charcoal indoors can produce fatal levels of carbon monoxide. Coroner tests to confirm whether Boles died of carbon monoxide poisoning will take about three weeks to complete, officials said.