NJ – Staff and children at a daycare were evacuated this afternoon after a faulty heater leaked high levels of carbon monoxide.

Police were called to the Happy Child Learning Center, on Haddon Avenue, about 1:15 p.m. Eleven children and three adults were taken to area hospitals as a precaution, said Lt. Lou Hannon, with the Camden Police.

PSEG found a carbon monoxide reading inside the building to be greater than 400 parts per million. A reading at the building’s front door by the city fire marshal’s office was 81 ppm. A safe level is 35 ppm, according to Fire Marshal Chief Ralph Roberts.

Several children were throwing up because of the carbon monoxide levels, authorities said.