Brookline, MA- CBS4 – BROOKLINE Residents of a condo complex on Cypress Road in Brookline were forced to find another place to sleep on Monday after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were detected in some of the building’s units.

According to reports from the scene, a carbon monoxide detector in someone’s unit went off, which sparked the evacuation. Some readings in the building were as high as 150. Any reading over nine is said to be unsafe.

The fire department let residents back into their units to grab some items, but they were ordered to leave for the night while officials make sure the levels are safe in the area and the problem that caused the detector to go off is fixed.

“They said that possibly snow, ice and water from obviously the weather today could have got into the vent system and backed it up,” said Chris Disimone, one of the building’s residents. “It’s backing up into some of the units, mostly on one side of the building. They’ve got very high readings and they said it is a problem they don’t feel can be fixed overnight.”

Two people, who live close to the area where the detector went off, were taken to the hospital to be checked out as a precaution.