Buffalo Grove, IL- A Buffalo Grove man suffered burns in an explosion Monday afternoon that blew out a wall in a home in 600 block of MacArthur Drive, authorities said, The explosion and fire apparently was caused by natural gas, authorities said.

Police and firefighters were called about 2:40 p.m. to check on the well-being of a man in the home. When they arrived, they smelled gas, Deputy Fire Chief Pete Ciecko said.

“We just stood by, and the house exploded,” he said. “The north side of the house blew out.”

The man was taken with burns to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights and then airlifted to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood. No other injuries were reported.