Imperial Beach, CA- Union Tribune – An 8-year-old boy was overcome by carbon monoxide early yesterday after his father left an oven on to help heat their apartment, authorities said.

A passer-by called authorities after hearing a smoke alarm in the apartment on 13th Street. When deputies and firefighters arrived shortly before 4 a.m., they were met by the semiconscious boy, said sheriff’s Sgt. M’Liss Hinshaw.

The boy, who was home alone at the time, was taken to a hospital for observation and released, the Sheriff’s Department said.

The boy’s father told authorities he had left the oven on because he wanted the child to stay warm